Let me fill y'all in on our life at the moment. Some of you may know that when Larry and I bought our home in Cedar Hill Texas it was just a starter home and we were only going to be here for a few years. Boy does time change our lives and plans! We bought a home that fit our needs then, we had eachother, the 3 girls and 1 brand new baby boy. Our home has 4 bedrooms, 3 are upstairs and the master is downstairs. Kamden would get a room, Kaijsa a room and then Kait and Kira would share when they visited. A few months later Kaijsa moved in with us. Still we were ok because Kaitlyn and Kira were only here during the summers so plenty of room. We then discover we're pregnant and going to have another baby - girl. Shortly after that Kaitlyn moves in with us. So after some re-arranging - Kaijsa has her own room, Kamden and Kinsee Belle are sharing and Kaitlyn gets her own room. Kira shares with whomever she wants to when she visits. When Kaijsa and Kaitlyn moved in with us we had to find a good school district for them. Cedar Hill schools are horrible and not where we wanted our kids to go. Where once we thought we had time to look around and figure out where we wanted the kids to go we now had no time. My Dad lives in a good school district and with a Clause they have our girls could use his address and go to those schools. Now they are about 20 minutes away but worth the drive since it's their education. They both loved the schools, teachers and their friends. We did too. Part of the deal was that they go to school and then after school every day spend 3 hours at Papa's house. This used to not be a problem. They would take the bus there after school, spend their time and then Papa or Jennie would bring them home. Then they grew up. Kaijsa started working. Still this wasn't a huge issue because Jennie could still bring them home for me after she and Kaijsa got off work. Swing by grab Kait and then home they came. Then they got even older. Kaijsa no longer wanted to ride the bus, Kaitlyn either for that matter. Kaijsa starts driving and working closer to home. Kait gets involved with sports and the school musical...no time spent at Papa's or not very much time. The school told us they would check and make sure the girls were there at times but in the last 3 yrs they never have. Well...the police stop by the other day and no one is there. Kait is at play practice and Kaijsa is either at work or home sick that day, I can't remember. A couple of days later the school calls and they have withdrawn the girls because they aren't at my dad's house for the 3 hours every day. Plus they feel they are too old to participate in this program. So...what do we do? Do we send them to Cedar Hill where they would be the only white kids, or one of the very few white kids, or do we homeschool? Homeschool was what we all decided to do. Tears were shed and plans were started. For those who don't know...homeschooling can be very expensive. We have discovered this. But there are quite a few families around that do this and we talked with some of them. I think we have finally found an online program for Kaitlyn that is also associated with schools in TX so if she wanted to go back she could without too much problem. We will sign her up tomorrow and figure out how to get her started as soon as possible. Kaijsa on the other hand is a bit harder since she was almost done with High School. It turns out that the Dallas Community Colleges are free if you live in Dallas County (we do!). Plus they have a program for dual credits. So while she takes her courses at the college they count for High School and College! We are talking with them tomorrow, hopefully...I left msgs with the director today, and will have her take the test neccessary to get her into some classes. She is pretty excited to go to college and since it's nearby I'm hoping this will help prepare her for when she is off on her own. Maybe then it won't be quite the shock. In the meantime till all of this can be finalized and started we are doing stuff at home. For Music they are learning the piano (they are doing pretty good at this actually), for PE we run around outside with the little ones or visit Flip Fusion (the best gymnastics place ever that has open gym time), for Reading/Writing/Spelling they each have a book they are reading and will write about. I will give them vocab words and essays to write about what they are reading and learning. I think this will turn out better than it sounds. They also have scripture time that they read and journal during. Math and science we are still trying to figure out. I'm looking for a particular book but haven't found it just yet. I will though! Scince isn't required as part of the homeschool program in TX. Actually all TX requires is Reading, Writing, Spelling, Math, and Good Citizenship. For the Good Citizenship I am thinking of having them find someplace to volunteer at. That will get them out of the house for a bit and keep their sanity. Kaijsa has her job which will help her as well. They also have Church activities to keep them busy. So far we've been busy planning and getting it set up but today they did start their reading and writing. We have a few deadlines in place for the music and reading to help keep them moving along. So far we all like it and I hope that continues.
Kamden and Kinsee enjoy having them around and have even actually been pretty good. Kaileigh of course is the best baby and just sits and talks and giggles.
So now are days are busier than before. We will get a schedule in place so that I can get school stuff done, play time done, work done, house cleaning and cooking done. It's crazy at the moment but I know as we do what is right Heavenly Father will help us.
Larry hasn't been feeling well but we also pray for him to get better and for the Dr's to be able to help him. Please continue to keep us all in your prayers and fasts. We need all the help we can get! LOL
Texas has become cooler which I am enjoying. We've been able to open windows and save some electricity! It's finally beginning to feel like Fall. I even have a few decorations out. I so need more since Halloween is one of my most favorite of Holidays.
I'll keep y'all informed on how school is going and what goes on in the Saling lives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I know it's not the way you wanted it to work out, but to be honest I'm really happy for you! What an adventure this will be for you all! I just enrolled my 2nd grader in K12. Which program are you using? We've done K12 in the past & really loved their resources. I may be pulling my oldest (9th grade) out after the end of next semester if things don't improve & we'll be doing K12 with him as well. LMK if you need anything...even if it's just to chat! Love ya!! :)
WOW girl! Good luck with all of that. There are a lot of people that home school their kids out here. Me, I am not one of them. Although if my kids start singing about Obama at school they might be home schooled!
Post a Comment