Friday, October 21, 2011

Day 1 of Trip to UT for Fall Break



We decided to take a trip to Utah for the kids' Fall Break this year. I received a little extra when my job ended and felt like we all needed a vacation. Plus we needed to go to UT and pick up Larry from spending time with his family up there. So off we went...I had something planned every day and it was a fun trip to see sites, family and a few, very few unfortunately, friends.

Kamden had Friday Oct 7th off school and it was only a half day for Kaitlyn so we decided to leave this day. The whole next week they had off school so we took our time and had some fun. On Thursday Jen and I packed up suit cases, after buying clothes for cooler temps, and got the snacks divided up and all packed away into the 2 cars we'd be driving. Jen and Kait were in one and Me and the little ones were in the other. I had the van so they could watch movies which was nice. We headed out fairly early and stopped for breakfast along the way. The kids did so great in the car all day. I was very proud of them. We stopped in Flagstaff for drinks and break then into the car we got. We went from 80-90 degree weather to 32 degrees at one point. We had sun, clouds, rain, and snow along the trip this day. I have wanted to go back to my mission area of Bluff UT since reading The Undaunted and was excited to take this route to Larry and his family. Since we were so close to the 4 Corners Monument we decided to stop there. We had never been and I thought it would be fun. Well, they only take cash, Jen had to go back to the trading post to get some, and there wasn't much there. A bit disappointing to be honest but fun nonetheless to go. So we stopped and took a few pictures of us standing on all the states and stretching our legs a bit. After this stop we went on up to Bluff. I drove everyone around the little town, it has changed quite a bit actually, and stopped at the cemetary. We saw the graves of the UT pioneers and other settlers of this area. What amazing people! I loved seeing their homes and graves. Such a neat spirit about it and them I think. It was a bit chilly but not too bad. I want to go back and take some time to eat at the Twin Rocks Cafe and see the new monument/village they have set up for the Handcart Pioneers who settled Bluff and the 4 Corners area. Once this was complete we stayed the night in Blanding with a friend of Jen's, Natani. It was fun to see her again and her kids and my kids loved playing together. Thanks Natani for letting us stay with you!

It was a great first day of our trip. We got to add some Church History into the trek which I wanted and the kids got along great. A good beginning to a wonderful week.

No comments: